French Open Semi-Final: Murray loses to Wawrinka
FRANCE: World No.1 Andy Murray was beaten 6-7 (6/8), 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (7/3), 6-1 by Stan Wawrinka who in 44 years of French Open became the oldest player to enter the finals.
Stan Wawrinka who was the US Open 2016 champion will face either Rafael Nadal or Dominic Thiem for the French Open title.
Having won a spirited 4 hour 34 minute battle, Wawrinka while talking to media said:
- “It’s incredible to be in another Roland Garros final,”
- “I was hesitant in trying to finish the first and third sets but I felt like I could retake control.
- “Andy always makes you play another ball, he makes you play badly.
- “It was a great atmosphere which makes you give it your all.”
Murray acknowledged that Wawrinka was the stronger player and added:
- “I tried to keep fighting, but he played well at the end,”
- “I was a tiebreak from getting to the final in a tournament which I came into struggling.”
Wawrinka, who has won all the three Slam finals, finished with 87 winners and 77 unforced errors. Murray had 36 of each.
For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk