||South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|3rd ODI: South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 5th August, 2018
|Venue: Pallekele International Cricket Stadium
|Umpires: Raveendra Wimalasiri, Nigel Llong
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka, elected to field first.
|South Africa’s Innings: 363/7 (50 Overs, RR: 7.26)
|Batting: Hasim Amla 59 off 59 balls, RR Hendricks 102 from 89 balls, JP Duminy 92 off 70 balls, David Miller 51 off 47 balls, AL Phehlukwayo 24 off 11 balls
|Bowling: CBRLS Kumara 2/67 in 10 overs, NLTC Perera 4/75 in 10 overs, Akila Dananjaya 1/81 in 10 overs
|Target: 364 from 50 overs.
|Sri Lanka’s Innings:
|Batting: DM de Silva 84 off 66 balls, Angelo Matthews 32 off 42 balls, Kusal Mendis 31 off 34 balls, Akila Dananjaya 37 off 42 balls, Kusal Perera 27 off 17 balls
|Bowling: Lungi Ngidi 4/57 in 8.2 overs, AL Phehlukwayo 3/74 in 9 overs, Tabrez Shamsi 2/62 in 10 overs
|Result: South Africa won by 78 runs
|Man Of The Match: Reeza Hendricks
|Highlights & Analysis
|South Africa Vs Sri lanka: Sri Lanka 1st Innings
- Sri Lanka hoped for a change in fortunes, as they won the toss and contrary to their first two ODI’s, chose to bat first.
- The pitch appeared to be a batting surface and a big total from South Africa could help them clinch the series.
- South African openers, Hashim Amla and Quinton De Kock walked out to bat. For Sri Lanka the new ball was given to Lakmal and Kumara from each end.
- A decent start was made by the pair as they scored 29 runs in the first 5 overs.
- Matthews persisted with his bowling pair, and finally Kumara struck in his 3rd over to claim the wicket of De Kock.
- The debutante, Reeza Hendricks joined Hashim Amla. The South African fifty came up and now the off spinner, Akila Dananjaya was introduced into the attack.
- Hashim Amla reached his half century and soon the team total crossed the 100 run mark.
- Now, Thisara Perera was introduced into the attack with Kumara bowling from the other one.
- Both bowlers kept things tight from both ends and finally Thisara got the big wicket of Hashim Amla to break this 59 run partnership.
- Now, the South African captain, Faf du Plessis joined Reeza Hendricks. The debutante soon reached his half century and became the 7th South African to score a fifty on his debut.
- However, after a partnership of 36 runs, Faf du Plessis also gave his wicket to Thisara Perera. At this point, South Africa were 3 wickets down for 137 runs with 7 wickets in hand.
- JP Duminy joined Hendricks. The pair remained strong and soon brought up the fifty run stand between them.
- The debutante, Hendricks continued with his aggressive style of play and broke the record of scoring the fastest century by an ODI debutante.
- However, he departed in the same over to Kumara who got his second wicket of the match.
- Now, David Miller joined JP Duminy. Sri Lanka needed a wicket but the pair defied their bowlers to add a hundred more runs to the total.
- At this point, this match (South Africa vs Sri Lanka) was quickly slipping away from Sri Lanka.
- Duminy came close to a century but fell only 8 runs short of it as Thisara got his 3rd wicket of the match.
- At this point, South Africa had scored 318 runs with 5 wickets in hand and less than 4 overs left in the innings.
- Phehlukwayo joined David Miller. A swift partnership of 22 runs was shared between the two as Miller reached his 11th ODI fifty and departed on the very next ball to Thisara Perera.
- Mulder came at number 8 and helped Phehlukwayo to finish strongly as South Africa ended up with a total of 363 runs from 50 overs.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka 2nd Innings
- With 364 runs required off 50 overs, Sri Lankan openers Dickwella and Tharanga walked out to bat. For Sri Lanka, Rabada and Ngidi shared the new ball from both ends.
- A nervous start was seen from Dickwella, who lost his wicket to Ngidi in the 4th over and South Africa got a early breakthrough in the match.
- Kusal Perera joined Tharanga. This partnership lasted only one over, as Nigidi struck in his very next over to get rid of Tharanga.
- Now, Kusal Mendis joined Kusal Perera. The pair continued with their sublime striking as Sri Lanka’s total reached the fifty run mark in 8 overs.
- Du Plessis introduced Phehlukwayo into the attack and the all rounder struck straightway by claiming the wicket of Kusal Perera.
- Thisara Perera joined Kusal Mendis. At this point, Sri Lanka were 3 wickets down for 64 runs.
- The pair could only add 18 runs to the total after which Mulder claimed the wicket of Thisara Perera.
- The Sri Lankan captain, Angelo Matthews joined Kusal Mendis. A significant partnership of 43 runs was shared between the two batsmen after which Ngidi claimed the wicket of Mendis.
- With Sri Lanka 5 wickets down, Dananjaya joined Angelo Matthews. The pair added 31 runs to the total after which Shamsi claimed the wicket of Angelo Matthews.
- At this point, this match (South Africa vs Sri Lanka) was becoming a one sided affair.
- De Silva joined Akila Dananjaya. At this point, Sri Lanka required 207 runs from less than 23 overs.
- The pair added another 43 runs to the total as De Silva reached his half century. Finally, Phehlukwayo broke this 43 run stand by claiming the wicket of Dananjaya.
- Lakmal joined De Silva, but this partnership ended an over later as De Silva departed 16 runs short of his century.
- Jayasuriya joined Lakmal, but he departed in the very next over as Sri Lanka slumped to 9 wickets.
- Kumara joined Lakmal and 2 overs later, Ngidi claimed the wicket of Lakmal to complete his 4 wicket haul as South Africa won the match by 78 runs.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd ODI: Typical Proteas Outclass Lankans
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 1st ODI: Proteas Outclass Lankans With Bat & Ball
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test Day 4: Spinners End Proteas Resistance; Series Sweeped 2-0
This is the end of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 3rd ODI. Join allsportpk on 8th August for the 4th ODI between South Africa Vs Sri Lanka.
AD Mathews (Capt.)
DM de Silva
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
F du Plessis (Capt.)
Q de Kock (Wkt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk