||South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|1st Test Match – Day 3: South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 14th July, 2018
|Venue: Galle International Stadium
|Umpires: Rod Tucker, Paul Reiffel
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka, elected to bat first.
|Sri Lanka’s 1st Innings: 287 all out (78.4 Overs, RR: 3.64)
|South Africa’s 1st Innings: 126 all out (54.3 Overs, RR: 2.31)
|Sri Lanka’s 2nd Innings(Continued): 190 all out (57.4 Overs, RR: 3.29)
|Performers (Day 3):
|Batting: Roshen Silva 13 off 24 balls, Angelo Matthews 35 off 86 balls, Lakmal 33* off 46 balls.
|Bowling: Kagiso Rabada 3/44 in 12 overs, Keshav Maharaj 4/58 in 20 overs, Tabrez Shamsi 1/37 in 11 overs, Dale Steyn 1/35 in 11.4 overs.
|South Africa’s 2nd Innings: 73 all out (28.5 Overs, RR: 2.53)
|Performers (Day 3):
|Batting: Aiden Markram 19 of 46 balls, Vernon Philander 22 off 38 balls.
|Bowling: Herath 3/38 in 14 overs, Perera 6/32 in 14 overs, Sandakan 1/1 in 0.5 over.
|Result: Sri Lanka won by 278 runs
|Man Of the Match: Karunaratne
|Highlights & Analysis
|South Africa Vs Sri lanka: Sri Lanka 2nd Innings(continued)
- On Day 3, Sri Lanka were in an impregnable position as they were in the lead by 276 runs. The pitch was going to be difficult for batting plus the ball was going to be new and hard.
- Roshen Silva and Angelo Matthews resumed play while Dale Steyn and Kagiso Rabada started it off for South Africa.
- 3 overs into the day and Rabada gave Proteas an early breakthrough as the took the prize wicket of Roshen Silva.
- Dickwella joined Angelo Matthews. Three overs later, this partnership was also broken as Rabada got the wicket of Dickwella.
- Perera joined Matthews but after facing only one ball the batsman departed off Rabada’s bowling.
- Lakmal joined Matthews. The pair added 22 runs to the lead and put his team in a commanding position.
- However, when spin did the trick for South Africa and Maharaj claimed the wicket of Matthews.
- Herath joined Lakmal but he got out in the very next over to Shamsi who pinned him lbw.
- Sandakan was the last batsman left. He and Lakmal added another 27 runs after which Steyn finally ended Sri Lanka’s inning by taking the wicket of Sandakan.
- Sri Lanka set a target of 352 for South Africa to win this match.
South Africa Vs Sri lanka: South Africa 2nd Innings:
- With 352 runs to win the 1st test, South African openers, Aiden Markram and Dean Elgar walked out to bat.
- Spin was introduced from both ends by South Africa and Sri Lanka in the form of Herath and Perera.
- The batsmen made a nervy start but managed to survive until lunch was called on Day 3 of this test(South Africa Vs Sri Lanka).
- Post lunch, this partnership survived only two overs after which Perera got the opening wicket of Dean Elgar.
- Hashim Amla joined Markram but he one over later he also became a victim of Perera’s exquiste off-spin bowling.
- Bavuma joined Markram. This partnership also did not last long as Perera claimed his 3rd wicket of the innings by getting the wicket of Bavuma.
- Faf du Plessis joined Markram but in the very next over, the South African captain became the first scalp of Rangana Herath.
- Quinton de Kock joined Markram. History repeated itself as one over later, Herath claimed the wicket of Markram.
- At this point, South Africa were 5 wickets down with only 32 runs on the board.
- Vernon Philander joined de Kock. This partnership was broken in the very next over by none other than Perera who got his 4th wicket of the innings.
- Maharaj joined Philander. Both batsmen looked solid and added 22 runs to the total after which Perera claimed the wicket of Maharaj to complete his 5 wicket haul.
- Rabada joined Philander but departed in the very next over to Perera.
- Dale Steyn joined Philander and the batsman’s stay lasted 2 overs as he became the victim of Herath.
- Shamsi joined Philander with Sri Lanka needing only one wicket to win this match.
- Sandakan was introduced into the attack and he struck in his very first over as Sri Lanka bowled South Africa and won the match by 278 runs.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 1st Test: Day 1 – Sri Lanka Strongly Resist
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 1st Test Day 2: Sri Lanka Force Proteas Into Submission
This is the end of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 1st Test, Day 2. Join allsportpk tomorrow for the 2nd day of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 1st Test Day 3.
DM de Silva
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
RAS Lakmal (Capt.)
F du Plessis (Capt.)
Q de Kock (Wkt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk