The 2020 Youth Cup WESPA (World English-Language Scrabble Players’ Association) World Championship for the first time will be played Virtual and hosted by Pakistan. This was announced by Mr. Tariq Pervez, Director PSA-Pakistan Scrabble Association.
The 2020 edition of this Premier World Scrabble event is being sponsored by the Pakistan Cricket Super League team-Quetta Gladiators and will be titled Gladiators WESPA Youth Cup 2020, commencing from 22nd January 2021. The co-sponsor is PharmaEvo.
Mr. Tariq stated that it is a matter of honour for Pakistan and congratulated all Pakistanis! Added that the event details will be announced soon. However, for the potential participants mentioned that the Pakistan qualifiers for the Gladiators WESPA Youth Cup will be held on Saturday, 9th January on woogles.
The salient features of the World tournament from Pakistan perspective are:
- – In 2020 edition only 6 players from each country are allowed at the WYC-WESPA Youth Cup.
– Only the top 20 youth players will be invited to participate in th Pakistan qualifiers.
– On 9th January, 20 players EXCLUDING the top four (Imaad, Hasham, Ali Rashid and Saim Waqar) will be invited to play the first leg of the qualifiers.
– 8 players from the first leg will be joined by the top 4 in the final round.
- – Hammad Hadi Khan and Sohaib Sanaullah are the director for the qualifiers. They will send invitation to the players.
- (No one needs to register unless asked by either of the Qualifying Round Directors).
- – The Pakistan team of 6 players plus 2 reserves will be announced on Sunday, 18th January.
- – As per the decision of the PSA Executive committee the top two youth players are guaranteed a spot in the team based on their national rating but will take part in the qualifiers.