||South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|5th ODI: South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 12th August, 2018
|Venue: R.Premadasa Stadium, Khettarama, Colombo
|Umpires: Ruchira Palliyaguruge, Nigel Llong
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka, elected to bat first.
|Sri Lanka’s Innings: 299/8 (50 Overs, RR: 5.98)
|Batting: Dickwella 43 off 65 balls, Kusal Mendis 38 off 43 balls, Angelo Matthews 97* off 97 balls, De Silva 30 off 41 balls, Shanaka 21 off 15 balls
|Bowling: Kagiso Rabada 1/47 in 10 overs, PWA Mulder 2/59 in 8 overs, AL Phehlukwayo 2/60 in 8 overs, Keshav Maharaj 1/32 in 10 overs
|Target: 300 from 50 overs
|South Africa’s Innings: 121 (24.4 Overs, RR: 4.9)
|Batting: Quinton De Kock 54 off 57 balls, Aiden Markram 20 off 13 balls
|Bowling: Akila Dananjaya 6/29 in 9 overs, De Silva 1/21 in 4 overs, Kumara 2/34 in 5.4 overs
|Result: Sri Lanka won by 178 runs
|Man Of The Match: Akila Dananjaya
|Highlights & Analysis
|South Africa Vs Sri lanka: Sri Lanka 1st Innings
- With the series already claimed by Proteas by 3-1, this match was more of a confidence booster for Sri Lanka, if they managed to win it.
- The pitch appeared to have ample amount of dead grass, which was an indicator of good batting conditions.
- And, this is why Angelo Matthews won the toss and chose to bat first in the 5th and final ODI of this series.
- Sri Lankan openers, Dickwella and Tharanga came out to bat. For South Africa, Rabada and Dala shared the new ball from each end.
- A decent start was made by the pair as they reached 32 runs in 6 overs.
- The partnership reached fifty but Proteas strategy to persist with their fast bowlers worked, as Dala got the wicket of Tharanga.
- Kusal Perera joined Dickwella. Now, Mulder was brought into the attack and he struck straight away by claiming the wicket of Kusal Perera.
- Kusal Mendis joined Dickwella. The pair added 30 more runs as the first drinks break of the innings was taken. At this point, Sri Lanka were 2 wickets down with 94 runs on the board.
- Post drinks, this partnership stretched to 50 runs, however this is when Phehlukwayo struck and Dickwella fell 7 runs short of a half century.
- Now, the Sri Lankan captain, Angelo Matthews joined Kusal Mendis.
- The pair added a further 28 runs, after which Maharaj’s consistent lengths finally got him his first wicket of the match.
- De Silva joined Matthews.Another 50+ partnership was shared between the pair, as Sri Lanka closed on 200 runs.
- This is when Mulder was brought into the attack, and he struck straightaway as he claimed the wicket of De Silva.
- Now, with Thisara Perera and Angelo Matthews on the crease, Sri Lanka were 5 wickets down with 195 runs on the board.
- Matthews was the aggressor, as Thisara Perera supported his captain from the other end to bring up another 50 run partnership.
- But, in the very same over Phehlukwayo struck back and claimed the wicket of Thisara Perera.
- Shanaka joined Matthews. As expected, Shanaka added some quick runs and lost his wicket in the last over to Rabada followed by Dananjaya who also lost his wicket.
- Sri Lanka finished on 299 runs with Matthews finishing on 97 runs.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka: South Africa 2nd Innings
- With 300 runs required to win this match, the South African openers, Hashim Amla and Quinton De Kock came out to bat.
- Suranga Lakmal bowled the first over, and snuffed the wicket of Amla to give Sri Lanka an early breakthrough.
- Aiden Markram joined Quinton De Kock. The pair added 30 runs in 5 overs and were looking solid until Dananjaya claimed the wicket of Markram in the next over.
- Hendricks came out to bat, but he bagged a golden duck as Dananjaya shattered his stumps with a googly.
- With South Africa 3 wickets down and 31 runs on the board, Klaasen joined Quinton De Kock.
- However, the pair could only add 8 more runs as Danajaya struck again, this time getting the wicket of dangerous Klaseen with yet another googly.
- JP Duminy joined De Kock. And, finally the spin threat was averted from both ends as the pair notched up a 46 run partnership.
- This partnership was broken by De Silva and now Mulder joined De Kock with South Africa 5 down for 85 runs.
- De Kock reached his half century, however he was getting no support from the other end as Mulder lost his wicket to Kumara.
- Phehlukwayo joined De Kock who lost his wicket in the very next over to Dananjaya, and Sri Lanka were now confirmed of their win.
- In the very next over, Phehlukwayo lost his wicket of Dananjaya, who completed his 5 wicket haul of the match.
- Maharaj joined Rabada. The pair added a meaningful partnership of 20 runs, after which Dananjaya claimed the wicket of Maharaj.
- Dala joined Rabada, but lost his wicket in the next over to Kumara and Sri Lanka won by 178 runs.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 3rd ODI: Hendrick’s Record Breaking Century; Proteas Secure The Series
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd ODI: Typical Proteas Outclass Lankans
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 1st ODI: Proteas Outclass Lankans With Bat & Ball
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test Day 4: Spinners End Proteas Resistance; Series Sweeped 2-0
This is the end of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 5th ODI. Join allsportpk on 12th August for the 5th ODI between South Africa Vs Sri Lanka.
Q de Kock (Capt.) (Wkt.)
AD Mathews (Capt.)
DM de Silva
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk