West Indies Vs Sri Lanka 2nd Test
||West Indies Vs Sri Lanka
| Match Basics
|2nd Test Match – Day 5: West Indies Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 18th June, 2018
|Venue: Darren Sammy National Cricket Stadium, Gros Islet, St Lucia
|Umpires: ML Udawatte, CAK Rajitha
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka , elected to bat first
| Scorecard Summary
|Sri Lanka’s 1st Innings: 253 all out (79 Overs, RR: 3.2)
|West Indies 1st Innings: 300 all out (100.3 Overs, RR: 2.98)
|Sri Lanka’s 2nd Innings: 342 all out (91.4 Overs, RR: 3.73)
|Performers – Day 5:
|Batting: Dananjaya 23 off 30 balls.
|Bowling: Shannon Gabriel 8/62 in 20.4 overs, Kemar Roach 2/78 in 21 overs.
|West Indies 2nd Innings: 147/5 (60.3 Overs, RR: 2.42)
|Performers – Day 5:
|Batting: KC Brathwaite 59 off 172 balls, Shai Hope 39 off 115 balls.
|Bowling: Lakmal 2/48 in 17.3 overs, Rajitha 2/23 in 13 overs, Dananjaya 1/33 in 19 overs
|Result: Match Drawn
|Man Of The Match: Shannon Gabriel
|Highlights & Analysis
|West Indies Vs Sri Lanka: SL 2nd Innings (Continued)
- With the prediction of rain on Day 5 Sri Lanka chances to secure a win were very less.
- No overnight declaration came from Sri Lanka as Dananjaya and Lakmal walked out to bat.
- Surprisingly, a defensive approach was seen from the very 1st over by Lakmal. But, it didn’t matter to Gabriel who snuffed out his wicket.
- Sri Lanka were now 9 wickets down. Kumara joined Dananjaya. But, this last wicket stand only lasted 1 over as Gabriel took his 13th wicket and Sri Lanka’s innings ended.
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka: WI 2nd Innings
- West Indies needed 295 runs to win this test match. But, the uneven bounce on this pitch was going to become a big hindrance in getting to the total.
- WI openers Brathwaite and Smith came out to bat and Lakmal was given the new ball by his captain.
- Smith survived Lakmal, but Rajitha claimed his wicket as Sri Lanka got their 1st breakthrough.
- Powell joined Brathwaite. But, one ball later he too fell to the debutante, Rajitha who appeared to be on fire.
- Shai Hope joined Brathwaite. Both batsmen built a solid 17-run stand before a short ball from Kumara injured Hope and he returned to the pavilion retired-hurt.
- Roston Chase joined Brathwaite. Sri Lanka continued to bowl tight lines and length and after a 30-run stand Lakmal finally got the wicket of Chase.
- Shane Dowrich joined Brathwaite and one over later lunch was called on day 5. At this point, West Indies were 3 wickets down and had only scored 55 runs.
- After lunch spin was brought into the attack and this move worked as Dananjaya struck in his 2nd over to claim the wicket of Dowrich.
- Shai Hope who was retired hurt came out to bat again. Sri Lankan bowlers continued to keep the pressure on West Indies.
- But, a match-defining partnership was shared between the two, until tea was called.
- It was time now for the final session of play.
- Sri Lanka needed 6 wickets while West Indies needed 187 runs to win this test.
- After tea, 50-run stand was reached between the two. But, on the very next ball Hope departed as Lakmal got his 2nd wicket of the innings.
- The West Indian captain, Holder joined Brathwaite who reached his fifty in the very next over.
- After 2 overs rain stopped play. Play resumed again after outfield had been dried. With 23 overs remaining West Indies needed 158 runs to win this test.
- But, rain came once again and this time it didn’t stop and the match was called off. The final result was a draw. Gabriel was the man of the match for his 13 wickets.
- Both teams now head to final test with West Indies in the lead by 1-0.
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test: Day 1 – Sri Lanka Struggle
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test: Day 2 – West Indies Stay On Track
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test: Day 3 – Sri Lanka Fightback
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test: Day 4 – Sri Lanka In The Lead
Join Allsportspk for the 3rd and final test of West Indies Vs Sri Lanka on 23rd June 2018.
JO Holder (Cpt.)
SO Dowrich (Wkt.)
DM de Silva
LD Chandimal (Cpt.)
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk
error: Content is protected !!